1 a sign of assent or salutation or command
2 the act of nodding the head
1 express or signify by nodding; "He nodded his approval"
2 lower and raise the head, as to indicate assent or agreement or confirmation; "The teacher nodded when the student gave the right answer"
3 let the head fall forward through drowsiness; "The old man was nodding in his chair"
4 sway gently back and forth, as is in a nodding motion; "the flowers were nodding in the breeze"
- Rhymes: -ɒd
- Incline the head up and down, to indicate agreement.
- To gradually fall asleep.
To gradually fall asleep
- an instance of moving one's head as described above
an instance of moving one's head as described above
- Finnish: nyökkäys
- French: signe de la tête
Nounnod f and m
NOD may refer to:
- Nod (gesture), a gesture of the head
- Brotherhood of Nod, a shadowy military organization and arch-nemesis to the Global Defense Initiative in the Command & Conquer computer game series
- Land of Nod may refer to:
- Land of Nod, Biblical land to which Cain was banished
- Land of Nod, small hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
- Land of Nod, associated with being asleep or drugged
- "The Land of Nod", poem by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Land of Nod, a leading catalog, web and retail store company, based in Northbrook, Illinois, specializing in children's furniture, bedding and accessories
- Night observation device; see night vision device
- Night of Decadence, a Rice University campus party
- Nod (music), a Louisiana band.
- NOD protein: Nucleotide Oligomerization Domain intracellular peptidoglycan sensor. Component of the innate immune system.
- NOD (non-obese diabetic) mice, a strain of mice genetically prone to develop diabetes.
- Nod, of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
- NOD32, a software antivirus application
- Notice of default
- Nod: A term used to describe a side effect of heavy opiate intoxication
- Church of Nod
- Nation of Domination, a former stable in the World Wrestling Federation
- Network of Disclosure, a group of comic book dealers and collectors, who have pledged to disclose any form of restoration or enhancement on a comic book transferred to another party through sale, trade or gift.
nod in Esperanto: NOD
nod in Italian: NOD
nod in Dutch: Nod
John Hancock, OK, Roman candle, abide by, accede, accede to, accept, acceptance, acclaim, accord to, accost, acquiesce, acquiesce in, address, adherence, admiration, affirmance, affirmation, affirmative, affirmative attitude, affirmativeness, agree, agree to, agree with, aid to navigation, alarm, amber light, amen, applaud, approbation, approval, approve, approve of, assent, authentication, authorization, aye, bag, balefire, be caught napping, be neglectful, be negligent, be willing, beacon, beacon fire, beat the drum, beck, beck and call, bell, bell buoy, bend, bend the knee, bend the neck, bending the knee, bid good day, bid good morning, bidding, blessing, blinker, blue peter, bob, bob a curtsy, bob down, bow, bow and scrape, bow down, bow the head, bow to, bowing and scraping, broad hint, buoy, buy, call, calling, calling forth, cascade, catalepsy, caution light, certification, cheer, clue, coma, comply, condescend, confirmation, connive at, consent, consent to silently, convocation, countenance, countersignature, crouch, cue, curtsy, daggle, dangle, default, deign, depend, dip, dipping the colors, disregard, dope off, doze off, drabble, drag, draggle, drape, droop, drop asleep, drop off, drowse off, duck, embrace, encephalitis lethargica, endorse, endorsement, esteem, evocation, exchange colors, fail, fall, fall asleep, fall down before, favor, favorable vote, flag, flag down, flap, flare, flash, flop, flow, fog bell, fog signal, fog whistle, foghorn, gentle hint, genuflect, genuflection, gesture, give a signal, give consent, give the nod, glance, glimmer, glimmering, gloss over, go along with, go light, go to sleep, go-ahead, gong buoy, grant, green light, greet, greeting, hail, hail and speak, half-mast, hand-clasp, handshake, hang, hang down, have no objection, heliograph, hello, high, high sign, hint, hoist a banner, hold with, homage, how-do-you-do, hug, ignore, implication, imprimatur, in toto, inclination, indent, index, indication, inkling, innuendo, insinuation, international alphabet flag, international numeral pennant, intimation, invocation, kick, kiss, kiss hands, kneel, kneeling, kowtow, lapse, leer, let go, let ride, let slide, let slip, lethargy, lift the hat, look, lop, lose sight of, lose track of, make a leg, make a sign, make obeisance, making a leg, marker beacon, narcohypnosis, narcolepsy, narcoma, narcosis, narcotic stupor, narcotization, neglect, nod, nod assent, nod of assent, nod off, nod to, not care for, not get involved, not heed, not refuse, not think, notarization, nudge, obeisance, obsequiousness, okay, overlook, parachute flare, pass over, pend, permission, permit, pilot flag, poke, police whistle, preconization, presenting arms, prompt, prostration, pull the forelock, quarantine flag, radio beacon, raise a cry, ratification, ratify, receive, red flag, red light, requisition, respect, reverence, rocket, rubber stamp, sag, sailing aid, salaam, salutation, salute, sanction, say aye, say hello, say yes, scent, scrape, seal, seal of approval, sedation, semaphore, semaphore flag, semaphore telegraph, servility, settle to sleep, shake, shake hands, shock, sigil, sign, signal, signal beacon, signal bell, signal fire, signal flag, signal gong, signal gun, signal lamp, signal light, signal mast, signal post, signal rocket, signal shot, signal siren, signal tower, signalize, signature, signet, sleep, sleeping sickness, smile, smile of recognition, sopor, sound an alarm, sound the trumpet, spar buoy, speak, spoor, squat, stamp, stamp of approval, standing at attention, stoop, stop light, stupor, submission, submissiveness, subscribe to, subscription, suggestion, summons, supination, suspicion, swag, swing, swoon, symptom, take for granted, take kindly to, telltale, thanatosis, the nod, the wink, thumbs-up, touch, touch the hat, track, traffic light, traffic signal, trail, trance, uncover, unfurl a flag, validation, visa, vise, voice, vote, vote affirmatively, vote aye, vote for, warrant, watch fire, wave, wave a flag, wave the hand, weep, welcome, whisper, white flag, wigwag, wigwag flag, wink, wink at, yea, yea vote, yea-saying, yellow flag, yes, yield assent